Beginning with Grace’s second Christmas, it has been a tradition to make 100 Wontons on Christmas Eve. We have made them every Christmas since, and the kids absolutely love them. Besides being far better than any Fried Wonton I have had in any restaurant, this meal is a real family affair. Everyone pitches in whether it be chopping vegetables, beating the eggs, mushing up the mixture or rolling the Wontons.
Another really neat thing about making really great Wontons is that you can substitute ingredients if you don’t have or like the ones I have listed below. We often add carrots for a trace of sweetness. Carrie likes to add water chestnuts for extra crunch. We have used broccoli and even substituted Morning Star Farms Crumbles for the ground pork. But for this recipe I stuck with the default version.
The essentials are some sort of ground meat (or meat substitute) green onions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.
Ingredients for 100 Wontons
- 2 pkg of Wonton Wrappers
- 4 Eggs
- Oil for deep frying
- Spring Roll or Sweet and Sour Sauce or what ever you like for dipping
- 2 lbs Ground Pork
- 2 Green Onion bunches finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh Ginger Root
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- Mince the onions, garlic and ginger. A food processor is perfect for this. Add to a bowl containing the pork. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, white pepper and soy sauce to the bowl and mix it thoroughly. My kids love this part.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Place the bowls containing the eggs and filling mixture on a clean flat surface and lay out the wrappers.
- Follow the procedure below.
4. While you are folding your Wontons, heat 48oz of oil to 350 degrees or so.
5. Add 12 -13 Wontons to the oil and cook until deep golden color. About 3-4 minutes.
Enjoy with rice!
If you decide to make this recipe, get your kids to help. Make it into a family affair. You will absolutely love it. When you make it, let me know how much you liked it. If you have questions please feel free to ask them in the comment section.