Several years ago, a former student of mine returned from a year long trip to China. We were talking about my favorite subject, food. She described a dish that she often ate while in China that was one of her favorites, Chinese Stir Fried Tomato and Eggs. As she went on and on about how delicious this dish was, I became intrigued. How could such a simple dish be so yummy? I asked her for the recipe and made it myself. She was right, this dish really was terrific, and simple. It is super inexpensive, vegetarian and pretty darn healthy. The recipe was so easy that I didn’t even write it down. With that in mind, my recipe might be a little different from hers, but not much.
Ingredients for Six Servings:
- 12 Eggs scrambled
- 6 roma tomatoes, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- a pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
A Word About Woks
Woks are not absolutely necessary for cooking Chinese style stir fry, but they absolutely make it easier. They are not expensive and they are easy to take care of. A properly seasoned wok becomes the largest no stick pan in your house. Here is a good yet inexpensive wok similar to mine.
- Heat 4 Tbsp of oil in your wok over high heat. Add the eggs and cook until done. Remove from the wok and place into a serving bowl
2. Add the green onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, until they become aromatic.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Be careful not to overcook. They should just be warmed.
4. Return the eggs, add the salt, pepper, sugar and sesame oil. Toss until all ingredients are mixed.
5. Serve with rice.
I told you it was super easy, and you can feed a family of 8 for less than $10. I like to put a few drops of soy sauce and some Sriracha Sauce on my serving. But you need not add anything.
I served this dish along side another family favorite, Salt and Pepper Tofu. And before you turn up you nose at tofu, you’ve got to give this dish a try. My kids were literally fighting over the last few pieces last time I made it. We usually use one package of tofu but, next time we will have to use two. If you would like the recipe for the Salt and Pepper Tofu as seen in the picture above, just sign up for my newsletter by clicking here and you will receive it by email.
Enjoy your dinner! We certainly will!!!