I think that it’s important to come clean right away as to what I expect to achieve with this blog and as to what motivates me as a writer, father and husband.
The purpose of this blog is to provide information and entertainment based on my experiences as a homeschooling dad to six adopted children. I really enjoy sharing the triumphs and challenges that come from raising our six pack. What we’ve done is unusual, I know, but it has been so rewarding that I want to share with others. Big families are fun, plain and simple. Challenging yes, but the fun and rewarding outweigh the challenges by a mile, and I want everyone to know that.
Hey, A Family’s Gotta Eat
I have been wanting to start this blog off and on for the past six years. Now that my youngest two are more independent, I think it’s time to go for it.
Encouraging and entertaining you the reader are only part of my motivation for writing it. My hope is that you will find it interesting and entertaining enough to come back again and again and perhaps even share it with your friends and family. Eventually enough people will be reading this blog that I will be able to monetize it and supplement our income which at this time is mostly derived from my wife’s job as a high school teacher. So there you have it, I am writing this blog in part as a source of income. I think that if I’m honest and straightforward about this, you will respect that and still come back for the content because it is useful and interesting.
Keeping it Real
I don’t want to come across as an impersonal purveyor of information. I’m a real person, and I want you to see me as such. I’m going to put myself out there. I might even go TMI on you. It’s a risk, but I believe that to know me is to trust me. If you trust me with providing you with real information you will keep coming back.
A Matter of the Heart
Finally, I want you to know what motivated me to adopt my wonderful children and turn my life’s trajectory on it’s ear. It’s Jesus. There I said it. I know it’s risky interjecting Him into any conversation, much less this blog, but if I am to be honest, I have to let you know about this. If I expect you to become fully engaged, then I need to risk putting myself out there. This is not a christian blog. It’s a blog about big families, homeschooling and adoption that happens to be written by a christian. I don’t plan on using this blog to preach or proselytize. So I promise, no sermons. There are other blogs that do a fine job at that. With that said, most of my articles will be colored by my Christian world view. Let this serve as a disclaimer, I love Jesus, and will not hesitate to give Him credit for the miracle that is my family.
So, the bottom line is:
- If you are thinking about adopting a child, I want to encourage you and provide you with insight as to what it is like to be an adoptive parent and father.
- Trying to convince your partner that adoption is a blessing? I hope to give you the information that will help you share your desire for them to take this journey with you.
- You may have already adopted a child and now you want to read a blog by a fellow adoptive parent. Hopefully we can share stories and information with each other, support and encourage each other.
- Are you thinking about homeschooling your children and need information that will help you decide what’s best for your family? I hope my blog will provide you with that information.
- Perhaps you are already a home school parent and just want to read about the thoughts and craziness of another home school family. This blog will certainly provide that.
- Do you have budget concerns related to adoption or large families and are looking for another perspective? Hopefully some of the articles in my blog will help.
- If you need convincing that camping with your large family is one of the most affordable and awesome things to do, I hope to make it happen.
- If you are a Dad, or Stay at Home Dad, or happen to know one, I want this blog to represent an opportunity for us to connect and share our experiences.
- Finally, I hope to show you that even the most ordinary people can do the most extraordinary things if you are just willing to take the risk!
You will notice over time that my blog will gradually change it’s look. The current look is a bit simplistic. That’s because it is. My technical skills are weak, but compared to a few months ago I’m a genius. As I continue through Elite Blog Academy (a year long program designed to help me become a better blogger), I plan to evolve this into a more interesting and professional blog that you and your friends will enjoy.
I want to hear from you!
I want to know who you are, who I’m blogging to. Are you an adoptive parent? Just thinking about it? Or are you a parent of a large family. Are you a homeschooler or are you just reading for the entertainment? I want to know who you are and what you are interested in. I hope to hear from you soon.