While in China adopting our oldest daughter, one of the places that we stayed was at the Chongqing Hilton. Every morning the three of us would walk down to the crazy awesome breakfast buffet. One thing we loved was perhaps the most simple, the egg fried rice.
Several years later, after some research and practice I managed to duplicate that yummy egg fried rice. All of my kids love it. We usually eat it for breakfast, but I seriously need to consider putting it into our dinner rotation because it’s so cheap. This meal is perfect for a family on a budget. I can feed all eight of us for less than $3.00
The key to a good fried rice is to use leftover rice from a previous meal. When we have rice, I always make a lot extra. There are only seven ingredients in this dish and it takes less than 10 minutes to make. I highly recommend that you use a well seasoned wok if you have one.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 4-5 cups of cooked leftover white rice, any style, but we also love it with basmati rice
- 4 eggs scrambled
- 1 large bunch of green onions
- 2 scant teaspoons each of salt, sugar, and pepper
- Heat the oil in your wok over high heat until it begins to smoke
- Add the eggs and stir slowly trying to keep only the liquid part of the eggs over the hottest part of the wok.
- When the eggs are almost done, add the green onions and stir for about 1 minute.
- Break up the rice with your hand as you toss it in the pan. Toss the rice vigorously for about one minute.
- Toss in the salt, sugar and pepper and incorporate it into the fried rice thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and serve. The entire process should take 3-4 minutes.
This fried rice would be perfect with home made Wontons. Click here for that recipe.
Here is a quick video that shows the whole process!
I hope you try this recipe. If you do and you like it, please let me know.
Brian at Daddy Go To Timeout
We are still offering our Seven Days To Your Better Best Friend Challenge. It will be available until Friday, February 15th, Then I’m taking it down until a later date. If you are interested in taking the challenge please click below. Carrie and I are still doing the challenge and it is working out even better than I could have hoped.